Becker says hosts will be all out for opening win


Newly appointed coach of Equatorial Guinea, Esteban Becker says his team will have to battle for a win against Congo on Saturday when the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) kicks off.

The hosts will kick star the event at the Estadio de Bata Stadium before returning to face Burkina Faso on January 21 and complete the Group A games on January 25th against Gabon.

“Starting with a win in such tournaments gives a lot of motivation and we shall go all out for that,” said the Argentine born coach.

Becker was appointed over a week ago after the sacking of Andoni Goikoetxea. He coached Equatorial Guinea’s women’s team to the African title in 2012 and previously held the role of technical director for all national squads.

Speaking about the general tournament, Becker said it will be very competitive because of the vast talent among African teams.

“I know teams like Algeria who were at the World Cup and Senegal are good teams. But we shall play our best to make sure we reach the later stages of the tournament,” he added.

Equatorial Guinea are lucky to be taking part in the competition as hosts after being disqualified for fielding ineligible players in qualifying stage.

They were reinstated by the Confederation of African Football after being chosen as stand-in hosts in place of Morocco, who pulled out over fears over the spread of Ebola.

Login Form

ITPSocialButtons

Share this post

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google BookmarksSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn